Topics I Wish to Cover
I will be covering the following subjects in philosophy in this journal as I have time to get my writings typed to the computer. I hope that you enjoy my views, but please be aware that these are MY OPINIONS ONLY, and that I am in no way trying to influence or change how you, the reader, think as an individual. I know a lot of philosophers try to convince and change the ideas of their readers and listeners. I am not like that. I merely wish you to know me as a person and one of the best ways to know me as a person is to know where I stand on the great areas of philosophy that have caused great controversy among free thinkers for ages.
OH! And please vote in the poll below on which subject you would like me to cover first.
The Nature of the Universe
- The world in which you and I live was here long before us. How did it come to be?
- Was it all created or has it existed forever?
- Who or what made it? How was it made?
- Are the trees, stars, men, and women really “there”, or are they mere creations of our minds or of the mind of a god/goddess?
- How came this universe to be?
- And what is it made of?
Man’s Place in the Universe
- Is man the destined master of the universe, or is he a “worm of the dust”?
- What is the relation between man and the universe?
- Is man the center of the universe, the goal of all creation, or is he a mere incident of no insignificance than a speck of dust?
- Is the universe friendly, or unfriendly to man, or is it merely unconcerned?
- What is good and what is evil?
- What is the measure of good and evil in the world?
- How can we know whether or not an act is good or bad?
- Is there in the very nature of the universe a code of laws which determines good and bad?
- Or, is goodness and badness a matter of the relation of an act to other acts?
The Nature of God
- What is the nature of God, and how is he related to the universe?
- Is God a person, like man, but more ideal?
- Or is God a name for the force or forces which brought the universe into being and sustain it?
- Can the human mind know God, or is God so far above man that nothing can be known about him?
- What is God’s relation to us?
- NOTE: I am personally a WICCAN, so my writings on The Naure of God will be in retrospect from my personal views.
Fate versus Free Will
- Is man free to mould his own destiny, or is he a mere straw in the wind of fate?
- Do our ideals, hopes, acts, and wills mean anything in the universe?
- Is it true, as some hold, that we come from the unknown, are buffeted around by forces of which we have no control, and a last return to the unknown?
The Soul and Immortality
- Is death the end of known existence?
- Or is there more for man in a land beyond the grave?
- Can we find in man a soul, something distinct from his body, which can survive the event of death and live eternally?
- What can we believe about heaven or hell?
Man and the State
- Is society made for man or is man made for the society?
- Is the state a divine creation which man must not question, or is it a result of a “social construct” among men and subject to change when it no longer serves men?
- How do the rulers get their authority?
- Is revolution justifiable?
- Is totalitarianism or democracy correct?
Man and Education
- Why do we establish schools and pay for them?
- Is the fundamental purpose of education the training of obedient citizens of a totalitarian state, or is it the development of free man in a democracy?
- Shall the church or the state dominate the schools?
- What shall we teach in our schools?
Mind and Matter
- Is the universe actually just a great mind, or is it really matter throughout?
- Is matter mind or is mind matter? If it is mind and matter, what is the relation between the two?
- How can mind influence matter influence matter or matter influence mind?
- Have philosophers found a solution to he problem of the relationship between mind and matter?
Ideas and Thinking
- Whence came our ideas?
- Are they born with us and do they become conscious in time, or do we get them from sense experiences?
- Or does some god reveal them to us?
- What are the laws of thinking?
- How do thinkers of each age go about thinking?